Friday, May 31, 2013

Food Journaling

I was asked to food journal and share it so I kept track this week and wrote down everything I ate. I didn't think to do it on Monday as I was at a picnic all day but Tues - Fri - all my food is written down. So here it goes...

TUES: 5.28.13

8:30 am - Coffee (8oz light brew coffee with 6 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
                Organic Cereal bar

10 am - 32 oz Smoothie - - I use smoothies as meal replacements so make sure it's enough calories to be a meal. If not, your body will think you are starving it and you will not lose weight if that is your intent.

Smoothie recipe - 3 pineapple rings - fresh because I had them - organic
                            1 C Mango - frozen - organic
                            5 Lg Strawberries - frozen - organic
                            2 TBSP Chia Seeds -
                            1/3 cup plain, unsweetened, organic yogurt
                            6 oz Filtered Water

Through out the day I drank 16 ounces of a detox juice that was made of Kale, Green Apple, Lemon and Water.

1:30 Salad - 1 c greens - the darker the better
                    1/2 md tomato
                    5ish baby carrots
                    1/2 cucumber
                     a few banana pepper rings
                     1/2 c cottage cheese - use shredded cheese on your salad if you don't like cottage cheese
                     Balsamic Vinaigrette - From Cindy's Kitchen

2:00 - Coffee
           2 Hershey Kisses

6:00 - Tostada
          6" Corn Tortilla - fried in grapeseed oil
          a little more than  half cup of taco meat (organic ground beef, cumin, chili powder,sea salt, pepper, garlic & onion - I never use prepackaged seasonings as they contain a lot of bad ingredients like silica and MSG)
           a few grape tomatoes
           3 TBSP of salsa
           1/4 c of shredded cheese

8:00 Coffee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WEDS: 5.29.13

6:30 - Coffee
           Larabar - click HERE to see what that is. They are made of dates and peanuts

11:00 - 32 Oz Smoothie (strawberries, tripple berry mix, pineapple, mango, chia seeds, yogurt, water)

1:30 Apple - honeycrisp are my fave but are out of season now - I heard Pink Lady's are a close match
        2 TBSP Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter - like peanut butter)

2:30  Coffee

4ish - Small Fry from Culvers - bad choice but I was really hungry while running errands
          Med Unsweetened Iced Tea

6ish - Starbuck's Iced Latte - just coffee and soy milk - I was still out running errands

8:00 - 3 meatballs - organic ground beef, italian seasonings - made from scratch
           Marinara Sauce - we like Newman's Own
           Small Salad 0 same ingredients as yesterday
           1/4 c Cottage Cheese

9:00 1/3 c granola - I like THIS one

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THURS: 5.30.13

9am - Coffee & Larabar

1:00 - 32 Oz Smoothie - same as yesterday

2:30 - 1/3 C granola
           Banana

6:00 Bone-in, skin-on baked chicken breast with Bragg's Seasoning
        1 c Steeamed Fresh Green Beans
        1/2 med potato fried with onion and grapeseed oil, salt and pepper

8ish - Coffee
          1 mini Reese's Cup
          15 choc chips - yes, I count them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FRI: 5.31.13

9am - Coffee & Larabar

Noon - Coffee
             1/3 C granola

2:00 - 32 oz Smoothie
           1/2 c pineapple
            5 strawberries
             3/4 c mixed berries
            1/3 c plain, unsweetened, organic yogurt
           water

6:00 2 pieces pizza - use THIS crust
        I used ham, pepperoni & prosciutto - all nitrate, nitrite, hormone and antibiotic free
        Fresh mozzarella

Dessert right after - Coffee, banana, 15 choc chips

NOTES:

* If I can get it organic, I do. Even if I didn't mention it on every item.

*I need to drink water - the only water I drank this week was in my smoothies and an occasional bottle - not enough

*One thing I do when I want more food but know I have eaten enough at my meal is wait 5 mins before getting seconds. If I am still hungry after 5 mins I'll eat a little more. 9.9 times out of 10 by the end of that 5 mins I don't even remember I wanted to eat more. I have done this for the last 10 yrs. It's a great way to not over eat as long as you use healthy portions on your plate the first time.

*I measure my food. Especially grain - I used a measuring cup EVERY time I scooped out my granola this week. I will do my smoothies by site but I measure my food often enough to stay in practice and know that I am getting the right amount even when I eyeball it.

*At any time I will throw in 2 hand fulls of loosely packed spinach in my smoothies. I just didn't have it on hand this week. It does not change the flavor - it does change the color - do it anyway, it's SUPER good for you!

That's it for this week!

No comments: