Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stone Throwing Thursday

Today's STT topic is Unity. It is a powerful word and when exercised has powerful results in our lives. It can be applied anywhere. For good. Or for evil. The first place in my life that comes to mind when I think about unity is with God, after that my marriage. In the last week I have seen 5 marriages affected by infidelity. 2 survived but were reminded, 2 fell apart, and the last one still hangs in the balance. My heart has been so heavy seeing people struggle through while the sacred in their lives is abused or they are reminded of a time when it was abused. Even though healing has come to some, the scars remain.

I'm reminded of an old illustration I saw years ago about marriage being a love triangle with God at the top. As we individually draw closer to God we inevitably draw closer to each other in our marriages. It's a simple illustration with powerful results when we apply it.

As we start to understand love for what it really is we start to demonstrate true love through our actions. 1 Corinthians 13, or possibly better known as The Love Chapter explains what love is in a very straight forward way.

"4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  8 Love never fails..."

It's a lot to live up to but when we love the way we are supposed to the unity in our hearts is strengthened. Marriages become safe places and something we protect with all the love in our hearts. And unity is in the center of everything.

I know for me and Billy unity is something we've been looking for on a couple of really big decisions we've been trying to make. For instance we've been house hunting for over a year. One reason we haven't taken the step to buy - we can't agree. We haven't argued but we haven't agreed. There hasn't been unity so we wait until we find that place where we both feel that this is what God is calling us to and when we do that - it's amazing. It's right and we both know it. No one is left to wonder if their solution would've been better. No one feels devalued. And when we honor our own marriages with the love and unity we're supposed to have for them, God honors them back in ways we could never imagine. He helps us love in ways deeper than we could in our human selves. He takes away pride and other ugliness that we hide inside that we don't want anyone to see and we don't want anyone to know about but it's there and we don't know how to let it go. It hinders our relationships until .... we love the way Christ loves. When we do that, the ugliness disappears because it cannot exist to where there is love. Love Never Fails.

This was a bit touchier of a subject than I usually write about but I always write what God gives me on these days. I never think that what God tells me to write is for everyone else. I know he's speaking directly to me. I share my thoughts and then maybe, he uses that to speak to or encourage someone else as well. As I explored my thoughts on Unity yesterday I made this art. My visual prayers...


5 comments:

The Taffy Box said...

I found you on Etsy's front page and (which I loved by the way!) , wow, how did I land HERE? I can only guess that it was God's wanting me to read your words here on marriage! I have been married 25 years this year. We have been through 4 children in less than 5 years, 3 in college next fall, 13 military moves (3 of them overseas), real estate financial loss, and to hell and (hopefully)back with breast cancer in the last 2 years. Yet God is faithful as we have remained faithful. Love in action is the key and I am so grateful that God spoke to me through you today. You've also reminded me that throwing my stone of faith is what will bring me victory in all aspects of my life. God Bless!

Jen said...

I loved reading this too. I think God speaks to you bit through you as well on these days. Thanks for writing what's on your heart.
Ps- love the art!!!!

Emakesart said...

Thank you for this

xo

The DIY Show Off said...

What a special post, Shelley. I've never seen the triangle but it's so true and love the way unity fits with SSS too. :) Thank you for Stone Throwing Thursdays.

Roeshel

Paula Pfarr Jackson said...

THANKS so much for sharing, I love love love all your writings and postings! Paula