Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Playing Along...

I was reading Christy Tomlinson's blog today and she did a Top 10 Things You May Not Know About Me and asked for others to play along. And since I'm short on blog material (but looooong on unfinished projects) I thought what the heck I'll join in ;) Hopefully I can think of 10 things...

1. Before starting the big renovation of our house Billy and I were house hunting for nearly 9 months. We couldn't find anything we liked and decided to stay put just a little longer. We still keep up with the market. We love real estate and the house we're in now was bought to become another rental once we decide it's time to move on.

2. The reno is all DIY with some help from Billy's very skilled youngest brother. He helped take down the walls in an orderly, yet extremely dusty, fashion. The ceiling did not cave in. Thanks so much, Scott! We appreciate it.

3. When I was growing up I was painfully shy. In my teen years I had terrible insomnia (my senior year of high school) and would get the occasional panic attack. I was always able to bring myself back pretty quickly but sometimes my mind would get the best of me. Now I have to watch that my big mouth doesn't say something it should think about first.

4. I have a very strong faith but I'm sure you know that if you ever read my blog :) I have very strong convictions of right and wrong. But I think my strongest conviction is that if I know what is right, I should DO what is right. There is never an excuse to do the wrong thing when you know it's wrong. In that, I am a very firm believer.

5. My kids are awesome :) Like really awesome! I have 2. A girl, 14, and a boy 12. They are smart, and kind, and caring. They are held to some pretty high expectations but no matter the outcome of a situation if they did their best and prayerfully made their decisions then that's all you can ask. I've always been a stay-at-home mom. It was hard when they were younger. I won't lie. I never could bring myself to work though. It just didn't feel right. I wouldn't work now if I couldn't do it from home.

6. I married Billy when I was 19. I'm now 35 now and have been married for 15 yrs. Best. Decision. Ever. I love him. I knew then that I loved him and I will always love him. He's 9 yrs older than me. Which sounds really scandalous in our younger years. It wasn't. We met at church. Our mother's sang in the choir together for nearly 20 yrs before we started dating. It was all very cautious. The poor guy even went to my proms with me. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that was for him. lol

7. I had to talk my way into my high school art program. I was turned down. I don't draw well. It's not my strong suit. I am still getting over that hurdle in my mind but you don't have to draw to be an artist. There are lots of avenues in art. I'm still looking for the best one for me but I'll look until I find it. I did always get and A in art - I'm sure my teacher graded me on enthusiasm. She was cool like that. I did win an award for a pottery piece she entered into a contest and didn't tell me about it until I won. She was so proud but I was so shy I couldn't accept the ribbon. She kept it in her office with my pottery piece throughout my high school years. Even at the end of my senior yr I still couldn't take it with me. I have no idea whatever happened to it after that.

8. We also love music in our house. There is always a radio on. Billy is a drummer. For years they sat in our dining room because it was the only space we had for him to set them up. He's always played at church. He's good. It's his art. His worship. His gift. I love hearing him play.

9. I have one, older brother. He's almost 4 yrs older than me. We did not go to high school together. His senior year was my 8th grade yr. Billy is one of 4. He has an older sister, by 18 months, and 2 younger brothers. He is 5 and 7 yrs older than them. My brother has 2 kids, a boy and a girl. Billy's sister has 5 kids, His middle brother also has 5 kids and his youngest brother has 3. We have the least with 2 - once the kids outnumber the parents you have to go to zone defense. We prefer man-to-man combat. lol

10. I don't believe in the glass being half empty or half full. I believe it should be running over. Luke 6:38 says "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”  If your cup is not running over then you are not giving enough. Give of your own need. Give of your pain. And watch your cup be filled and run over in ways you could never imagine.

No comments: