Thursday, November 18, 2010

{Stone Throwing Thursdays}

I'm a little late with Stone Throwing Thursday today! Crazy day. But I do have something prepared. A thought I've been having this week. On Sunday I started a mixed media piece and the thought of "What brings your soul home" came to my mind. The art didn't work out but I reworked it, twice, and finally came up with a piece I'm happy with.

But answering the question - What brings your soul home? I think it's many things for all of us. And really, what I mean by that is what things help you achieve balance in your life. That place of rest and contentment where you know you're not too far into work, too far in to family, too far into yourself....or whatever it is that may be causing the imbalance. I know, for me, I tend to work a lot. Even though my work is artful, I still need free creative time. I also know that if my work was not in art I would be WAY out of balance. Been there. Done that. I was crazy. :) I have to watch my time though. It's easy for me to be in my studio all day and all night too. So, I have to make sure I spend time with the family. Believe it or not, they like that!

This seems to be a stone I'm throwing all the time. Balance. God. Family. Home. Work. Art. And all the other stuff we all do. So I hung this piece of art in my studio as a reminder on those days, or stretches of days/weeks, when things feel crazy and unbalanced...what, at this time, will bring my soul home and give me rest and contentment again? Is it a long term change I need to make....like finally diving into art as a full time career, or do I need some family time, or alone time, or a date night? It's a hard question to answer sometimes. We don't always know exactly what it is we need but it's worth asking yourself the question and saying a little prayer to find the answer.


If you're new to Stone Throwing Thursdays click HERE to read what it's all about. I can't wait to read your comments and the blog posts you link up this week! Thanks so much for participating!

2 comments:

Lin said...

This week I started working on a new blog project...a mommy/baby product review blog that I'm super excited about! In a way, I hope it will help bring some balance to my life because it will allow me to do the things I love...write, research and meet others.

However, I'm also afraid that it will disrupt my balance. After all, I'm a full-time working mom already. How will I balance both that and a "full-time-ish" blog project? I feel like I'm being called to do more, and something new, while focusing on my strengths, which the new blog. So, I'm just going to take it one day at a time...which has been my mantra since I went back to work anyway!

Love the blog and the products! Still owe you an e-mail on space-themed growth charts and a picture of Harris' nursery! :-)

Anonymous said...

blog - it's just part of life, and when there is no time to write a blog - it means all time spent on other, less pleasant things.