Thursday, October 21, 2010

{Stone Throwing Thursdays}

Another week. Another stone! This week I painted a couple of canvases. Not really out of the ordinary for me but this time I wouldn't let myself use a lot of "boxed" art supplies. The ones that are really someone else's art but you can buy it at the craft stores and add it to your art work. I always feel like it's cheating when I do that - and I do it often. So, this week I pulled out the "raw" art supplies - paint, pastels, chalks, paint pens etc. and went to work on a fresh clean canvas.

The first one I came up with was inspired by a guy sporting a blue mohawk at King's Island, a local amusement park. You could call us adrenaline junkies - all 4 of us - and it's nearing the end of the season - we had to get in our last coaster rides of the summer...but getting back to the point... Blue mohawk boy really thought he was something else walking around the park. His clothes screamed of the 80's reinvented and he carried himself in what came off to me as a rather arrogant way. Billy made mention of him and the first thing that came to my mind was the Shakespeare quote - "Nothing is so common-place as the wish to be remarkable". It seems to me that a lot of people want to be noticed but they don't want to put the work into doing something remarkable to be noticed, so they wear blue mohawks. Not that I think blue mohawks are wrong - it just, in my opinion, seemed like a failed attempt at remarkability. I get it could all be for fun and I don't want to place judgement on this particular guy. This is simply an observation I made and the thoughts that followed. I want to be mindful of my choices and don't want to be one who sports a blue mohawk in lieu of achieving my personal remarkability.
This next piece stems from thoughts I've had lately about my own journey. I was laying in bed a week or so ago thinking the thought "I am right where I started but I am completely different". I see this birds-eye image of a city block in my mind. I see me leaving out the door of a building and wandering around the block and arriving at my starting point. But by walking out the door, to see what was all around the block, the walk turned into a journey of self-discovery. I never wanted to be in a different place. Home is where it's at. But I wanted to be different and needed to see what was around me that was bigger than me. So I took a stroll and journeyed through places unknown to find myself.
Maybe my next piece will be putting that image of a city block that is in my mind onto a canvas. I see it rather clearly. For some reason it comes in shades of purple and I'm wearing a green polka dot dress. It's very whimsical in my mind but to be honest the colors and gritty nature of these 2 pieces I'm sharing today more accurately express my feelings of that journey. It was dark, the terrain proved difficult to navigate and it seemed to know even my weakest of weaknesses. At first the darkness was scary but as I moved forward it became my friend - a place to hide with a strange sense of comfort. It's also the place where my journey became a pursuit. Desperate times call for desperate measures. No longer could I just travel through. I must pursue what I need in order to survive. My mediocre standards had been raised therefore my mediocre ways had to be raised as well. It was grueling. I fell down. A lot. I cried. I hurt. The pain is still fresh. It's just not so far in the past to remove the pain from the memories. Maybe one day my memories will turn from dark and gritty to shades of purple and whimsical, green polka dots. Maybe that is what God is trying to tell me, that really, it was a beautiful experience, my personal pursuit of Him. Because it was and still is. That really, it's the most beautiful thing I'll ever do and why I live with a stone in my hand.


If you're new to Stone Throwing Thursdays click HERE to read what it's all about. I can't wait to read your comments and the blog posts you link up this week! Thanks so much for participating!


No comments: