Friday, June 19, 2009

New Mixed Media

Any chance I get to be creative and in the studio, is a chance I take! This is my latest project - a collaberative piece with Jen Swift. She started the canvas with tones of blue with this incredible texture when I got it. I tried to work with the blue but I was in a yellow mood. My initial plan was yellow and orange but I pulled out some green paint and changed my mind on the orange right away.

After dabbing on a few yellow tones I rubbed over it with just a touch of brown ink to really show off the great texture on the canvas. I'm guessing at her method but, I think, she used modeling paste and an art stamp to achieve this look. I love it and it was my inspiration for the rest of the piece.

An old sewing pattern, some great patterned papers, plexi-glass, inks, more papers, metal numbers and I even bent some of my own wire for wings!! I must have been channeling Jen ;)

This is one of those pieces that I can't really tell if it's done or not. Sometimes it's hard to tell but this is where it is for now...

2 comments:

Devara said...

wow excellent pics nice blog and u have good pics and upload much better pics, plz comment on my blog too
http://geninfoaboutcomp.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Michelangelo said David was in the stone, he merely carved him free (paraphrased). You did the same with this piece. I can't imagine it any other way.Love the yellow, the woman and the wings. Makes me think of Icharus as well. Do you think he used a pattern when he created his wax wings? :)