Sunday, May 24, 2009

Steampunk Style

I started my project with the steampunk style bird collage I made for our decals yesterday. The decal, 20"x16", is the inspiration for this piece. I was really happy with the way the design cut out of the vinyl. Some of these more complex designs don't cut as well as I want them to and I have to go back the drawing board but this one turned out great!

1. I started with a 2x2 foot piece of birch veneered plywood. I got it at Lowes for about $7. I painted the entire piece with gesso - an artist primer.

2. Then I applied my acrylic paint but not with a brush - I applied the over the entire surface with a palette knife. I wanted the paint to be a bit rough and uneven.

3. To bring out the texture, I then, rubbed on burnt umber acrylic paint with a dry sponge in one hand and a damp one in the other. I dip both of them in the paint but I think I get better control blending the paint when I can work with both a dry sponge and a wet one. I use both hands at once and work the canvas till I'm happy with the way it looks.

4. The inspiration piece! This project will hang in my dining room with Fly Free when it's done.

5. This is where I am with the progress of this project. It doesn't have a name yet - any ideas? I'd love to hear them!



Steampunk is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles, analog computers, or digital mechanical computers (such as Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine); these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or with a presumption of functionality.

1 comment:

Sydney said...

I love this, I found myself to be drawn towards the Steampunk style more and more