Thursday, April 30, 2009

Signs of life in the garden -

So for the first time in a very long time I have a small garden. I planted green beans, green onion, lettuce, mixed greens, cilantro, dill, and basil all from seed. The other day I added tomato and jalapeno plants. I'm not a big gardener. My main objective is to grow salsa ingredients - yes I love it THAT much! ;)

Yesterday I went out and snapped a couple pics of the green beans - they are starting to come up and look beautiful in all their green loveliness. I might need to thin them out a bit. I think I planted them too close - any tips from an avid gardener out there?

2 comments:

wanita said...

i had to laugh when i read this because the first time i did beans on my own it was really hard for me to thin them out. it seemed so wasteful! =)
you can do it however works best for you, but i'd leave at least 3 inches between each plant-ling. some people leave 6 inches between, and my mom simply plants them 3-4 inches apart.
btw-i have you on my rss roll for inspiration. =)

Single Stone Studios said...

Oh Wanita, I was afraid someone would tell me that. I don't know if I can pull them out of the ground! It's like wasting a little bit of life and their so pretty. I might be able to transplant some to the other side of the trellis. I'm going to have them grow vertically since my garden is small. Maybe I'll be abe to pull them out of the ground if I know I can give them a new home ;)