Tuesday, November 18, 2008

{Gratitude Week} Joy's Jewels


Hey Everyone - It's day 2 of our Attitude for Gratitude celebration. I really hope to see more of you leaving comments about what you are grateful for. This week is not about the prizes or the businesses represented - it is about a community of people from all walks of life coming together and sharing good things. I can't wait to hear from more of you!

I'll start us off again this morning. Yesterday, I received a call from a friend, a very dear friend whom I've known and loved for many years, to let me know her uncle passed away. I was supposed to watch her children so she could go sit with him in the evening. It's been a very long couple of weeks for her uncle and family. My heart goes out to her and her family. So, what can I be grateful for in a situation like this? I am grateful for the friendship that I have with her. We've been through so many ups and downs that life has thrown at us, yet, no matter what I am going through, how long it's been since we last spoke, we ALWAYS pick up where we left off and I know that she is just going to "get it" when I need her. She is a strong christian woman and I am inspired by her! Truly inspired. I'm lucky to have her in my life. I hope I can show her the same love and support through this situation as she has shown me so many times.

Today's guest is another great woman who has recently made some very big changes in life - one of them being her Etsy shop. It's amazing how life works out. Read this....

There are so many reasons that I am thankful for my business, but none of them really have anything to do with the ins and outs of running a business. Rather, I am most thankful for what my business has allowed me to do in other areas of my life. I am a teacher and LOVE my job. For eight years, it has been my consuming passion and calling in life. Never in my wildest dreams did I consider doing anything other than teaching. That is, not until four years ago when I became a first-time mom. The renewed joy and purpose that this brought to my life was remarkable! So much so, that 22 months later it happened again!! Then again after another 22 months!!! Three beautiful babies later—thanks to some unusual circumstances and some divinely opened doors—I had the opportunity to reduce my teaching schedule to part time and spend more time at home with my kids. Because of how God had blessed my business, we were able to make the leap financially. The result has been extraordinary. Looking back now, I can see how this journey has come full circle: my business made this opportunity possible; and this opportunity made it possible to invest more in my business, and more importantly, my kids!

Joy makes these incredible pieces of jewelry from old typewriters and cash registers. They are SO cool and every piece has a story. Someone ran their business with the old machine, typed letters, or memoirs - I can just imagine what these old typewriters meant to the original owners. Now Joy up-cycles them into beautiful pieces of jewelry to be enjoyed in a whole new way.


Her give away is her very popular initial necklace. You get to choose the letter you would like, she'll make the necklace and send it off to you!

Enter To Win:
Just leave a reply to this post telling us about something you are grateful for. All comments throughout the week will be gathered and put into a pot Saturday morning when I will draw the winners for each prize. I will announce them on the blog and let the giver of the prize get in touch with the winner!


9 comments:

missinmontana said...

It's so important this time of year to take the time to reflect on the things in your life you take for granted. I am truly thankful for my wonderful friendships, my beautiful family, my home.

SoulTattoo said...

I am so thankful for this season of growth and bonding with my family, with my kids getting more independent (ages 9 and 10) I feel blessed every time we are able to spend cold weekends by the fire reading together. We have recently started a new tradition of reading one chapter of scripture every night, and the kids love it. I am thankful for God's provision and his faithfulness!

amybyrd said...

I am thankful for my students. I teach 8th grade and most people think I am crazy. But most days my students challenge me in ways that make me grow in knowledge or empathy or understanding or culturally. They make me laugh, they ask questions, they push and push, they come to school in spite of so many outside circumstances that might crush other people. I love my job and am grateful for the gifts it takes to be a good teacher.

Anonymous said...

I am greatful for my family at home and my family at school (my students). My two daughters are more that I could have ever dreamed of when I thought of having children in my youth. My school family (the students) keep my humble and keep me on top of my game. I only hope I am able to give back to both families as much as they give me each day.

Nani said...

I love Thanksgiving because it is a time when people remember how important is to thank instead of ask. I thank God every day for the basics: being healthy, having all my body parts, food, shelter and being alive in general. This thanksgiving I'm super thankful for having married the best man on earth, for our wedding that reunited all our families, for one more year with my puppy, and for having given me the strength of making the decision of going back to school and changing careers.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for health and safety. We often take for granted just the small abilities we have - like being able to talk on the phone with a friend - or to be able to take a walk in nature with our children and spouse. God made our bodies truly remarkable and we should take time to appreciate and enjoy all of the wonderful things that it can do for us.

kiran said...

i am grateful for love- i'm a law student, which means most of the time i'm cranky, overworked, poorly fed, and lacking sleep- but my loved ones are so supportive and patient with me, everyone responds so graciously and supportively through it all, i couldn't ask for more.

Kim and Kris said...

It is easy for me at this time of year to say what I am grateful for...my babies. Four years ago yesterday my firstborn son went home to be with Jesus, at just 4 and a half years old. Our journey with him was filled with both sorrow and joy, but ultimately, raising him was the most important thing I have ever done. His ministry to so many people was amazing. He will always be my hero for the joy that he embodied despite his struggle to survive.
On December 7th, we celebrate his 7th anniversary for his organ transplant, and I will forever be grateful to God and to the little girl, Madalynn, who gave Mason his liver and small intestine, as well as 3 more years of life with us.
I am also grateful because tomorrow is my youngest's first birthday! It is such a blessing to have a house filled with the sounds of joyful children, even after losing our first. Our three girls fill us with so much love and we are priveledged to call them our babies. The Lord is good to us, and he has compassion on all that he has made.

josie said...

As a mom of four kids six and younger I rarely find time to sit and contemplate my blessings like I should. Thankfully there are simple moments like this one that pull into focus how sweet my life as a mommy is:
As I was brushing my six years olds hair before school, he gazes a me with the sweetest most serene expression and says, " I like facing you mom." I ask why and he replys, "Because you are so beautiful." Melted my heart, I am so so so grateful I have four sweet children who love me almost as much as I love them.