This is the frame before - at this point the old finish had been sanded off. See the detail at the bottom - I just love that!
Next I painted it black and sanded that finish. Sanding off some of the paint really helps show off all that detail. You can see the cork in the middle - I just unrolled it, cut to size and used wood glue to adhere. I placed heavy books over the entire surface to hold it flat and to help keep out the air bubbles. Then, stacked heavy canned goods on the books to ensure a tight adhesion. I use very sophisticated tools! LOL If you get an air bubble you can make a tiny cut with an x-acto knife letting the air escape and then re-glue that small section. Works like a charm!
For the final touches I added small hooks on the side to hang keys, a pen etc. But it was still missing something. I really wanted some kind of decoration at the top but nothing I tried worked for me. I kept using it, for nearly a year. Then, I started Single Stone and one morning, while playing around with my cutter, I had the brilliant (yes, brilliant ;) ) idea to cut a piece and apply it to my frame. I chose the word "family" because we keep all of our ball schedules, appointments etc on it. So, here it is with the vinyl lettering applied to the top - I used our Light Brown color. I love the way it turned out. Very simple but makes an impact in the room - My kind of project!
Have a great day everyone!